Photo of the day

Photo of the day
All grown up in the city of my birth and rebirth

Sunday 31 July 2011

The Power of Yes




In five days I leave for the first leg of my next adventure in Venice.  

I am still bruised from pinching myself that it's happening.  I'm all a giddy. I have seen my friends here in Sydney, I've had a lot of sisterhood bonding and nights of laughter and good cheer.  We've had wildly creative dinner parties, dress ups and downs, deep and meaningfuls over breakfast coffees and outrageous story tellings. I've walked around my beloved home city at night and stood on the prow of the ferry pondering futures. I have been given exquisite, thoughtful gifts by those who wish me well, and I've given, I hope, inspiration to those who'd like to make leaps into the unknown themselves.

A few days ago I woke up feeling quite transportingly happy.  I decided to say YES!  to whatever I was asked. I know that this concept isn't exactly original, but the results can be very exciting.  From this has come a Christmas invitation in a restaurant above a lake.  A new year's invitation in a strange and foreign city filled with turrets and towers.  Lunch in the Piazza san Marco on a sunny September afternoon.  A dress I would never have tried on, never mind purchased as it's so chic, and completely contrary, a burlesque outfit that I'll wear to my final dinner party before I leave Sydney.  I am going to cross all my bridges on this adventure, and I'm not going to worry about how or where the i's and t's are dotted and crossed.   I am going to break rules.

I've been reading books on life in Venice, trying to find my way not only around the language but the folklores and customs of this supremely sophisticated city.   I keep remembering an early quote relating to bridges, that Venetians see them more as transitions to another phase, than a practical means of crossing a bridge.   My transitions are beginning.

It's actually happening.  Giorgio and Sylvia emailed me this morning.  These are their Actual Words. 
  
"and remember you've got a little family in venise!... i'm shure that you will make fantastic necklesses with your new italian life,and venitien ispiration!!!  For the carnaval,yes we will show you the best of it ,to live the good and real part of it.
so,now we wait for you very soon
take care,big and numerous kisses from giorgio and silvia
 "

And I replied ... 

Non vedo l'ora di vedervi a Venezia molto presto.



Luda and I, wearing my jewellery.

 

No comments: