Photo of the day

Photo of the day
All grown up in the city of my birth and rebirth

Tuesday 12 July 2011

CHANGING COURSES






My chips were down. My heart was broken. My fortune had been stolen. I'd been betrayed, and dishonoured, and dehumanised.  I'd become a snivelling wreck of the woman I'd spent decades building to. I wanted to run away, most importantly, from myself.

So I left the man who caused my ruin. I sold my home. I farewelled my friends. I closed my business. I sold my car. I fled my city. I left my country.  I took off for a year, with only 11 kilos of clothes and a laptop and decent camera, to learn to write, journal, and photograph, while I followed where the road would take me. 

The long and winding road, definitely. 

This was to be my year without clothes.  Without expectations. 

Half way through it, I found myself working for an antique dealer, who installed me in an apartment, and I was enrolled in a language school in Venice.

I'd gone from the pits in Nepal where I spent two months, cold and miserable, to traipsing around Morocco, Turkey, England and Italy, with my bestie Luda, where I miraculously landed the several months gig working as a jewellery designer for the antique dealer in Venice. 

If you had asked me what I wanted most in my life at this juncture ... it would be this. Io sono eccitato. I have enrolled at the language school, I have an apartment near a canal.  I have the world at my muddy feet.

I will be working with and living under the generosity of two wonderful people - Giorgio and Sylvia, whom I met by a series of serendipitous events over the past few months.  If I could try to imagine anything more wonderful for this stage of my life ... I'd fail.

I have no idea what the next months will unveil ... but five months ago, in Nepal, I wrote the same thing and a world of adventures are between then and now.  I am alive, happy, putting on weight, and my fingers are bruised from all my wood touchings.

I think all this would make a great film - Write, Click, Recover!  What do you think? Anyone know any producers out there?

Bling, bling, anyone home?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to the next chapter hugs inspiration and lots of luv your sista