Photo of the day

Photo of the day
All grown up in the city of my birth and rebirth

Friday 22 July 2011

Life IS a Box of Chocolates!




ALL MY LIFE I'VE BEEN LABELLED AN OPPORTUNIST.

At first I thought it was a bad title, but as I grew up I realised that in order to make a life for myself, it's important to take chances and opportunities when they present themselves.  All the years I was working as a photojournalist, I'd get assignments in strange and wonderful, and often difficult places.  I'd say yes, and then work out the logistics. Each time I had a remarkable adventure. If the Big Picture works, the smaller details fall into place without much ado.  Chase Komodo dragons? Sure! Microlite through the Bungle Bungles? Why not! Watch and document complicated surgery? Oh Yea!  Eat locusts? Of course.  Sleep in a mud hut? Indeed.  I often played the game of yes, just yes, just because.  There is nothing I regret, except perhaps more of YES.  


I am joyfully optimistic about Venice.  I feel as if my blood has airbubbles in it.  I can't remember a time that I was happier.  I'm enthusiastic about learning the language.  Finding out about the people.  Enjoying the gorgeous clothes, the stunning architecture, the heart stopping art, the theatre and operatics,  the rich and heady cuisine.  I know I will get lost.  I know I may be lonely.  I will definitely be cold.  I might fall over my tongue learning the language.

But I don't care. This is probably the most exciting OPPORTUNITY I have ever had.  So many people have commented that I may love the life so much, I might not come back.  They wish me well, and god speed, and don't forget to blog, and see you one day and good luck. Yet would you believe that some of the people closest to me in the world don't believe it's going to happen, and are expecting me to fall on my face!  To return to Sydney covered with humble pie, humiliated by my hubris, my tail between my legs, my life in penury and my ego finally cut down to size!  What happens if you don't like it? asked one.  Is it still on? questioned another.  What will you have to come back to?  How will you Make Friends?  How will you Earn Money?  Do You Have A Contract?  How Do You Know You won't Get Ripped Off? What if they don't like what you do? Tsk. Tsk.   HUH?

Get a life, you naysayers!!!!!!!  At the very least, I will return with a new language.  A new understanding of a foreign culture.  I will definitely make friends - I'm gregarious and friendly, even with  linguistic challenges.   If I fall on my face, I'll pick myself up, look around and give thanks for where I am, and carry on.  If I'm lonely, I'll go to an art gallery or the opera.  If I'm hungry, I'll go to the Rialto to buy formaggio, verdere, pane and pancetta and come home to make myself a marvellous meal and read a great book or make a riveting piece of jewellery. I'll watch a quiz show in Italian.  I'll never not make money. If I'm bored, I'll take the vaporetto to Burano and walk around with my camera.  If I'm still lonely I'll skype a friend.  If I can't sleep, I'll write.  If I'm cold, I'll make a minestrone.    

I survived Nepal, and that was my own sort of hell, a personal anvil on which my new, strong persona was recently forged.  People who don't take risks are half dead.  I've spoken to so many women since I've been back who have travelled this journey vicariously with me.  I wish I could do what you're doing, they say.   I say to them: Just Do What You Have To.  You only have One Chance.  It's Now.  You can never predict the consequences of doing something, but the consequences of doing nothing are graver.

The only thing in life that is irrevocable is death.  Everything else I can turn around.  This next part of my Year without Clothes hasn't yet begun, but I have already made friends with people in Europe (Thankyou! F!) and I already have plans to meet them in Venice.   I have friends here who will visit me in Venice. (J!)  I have new friends here whom I hope will. (M!)  And to the naysayers who don't have faith that I will make this an even Bigger And More Marvellous Most Amazing Adventure ... Stand Back!   You Aint Seen Nothin Yet.

4 comments:

Sara Magellan said...

OMG!OMG!OMG!
The world is full of jealous and bitter people who are so afraid that they are afraid for the other people as well. I used to be the conservative family girl that would NEVER disappoint anyone and EVERYBODY was happy, but me! Then I started to do what I wanted and things changed!
When I went to Italy MY MOM pleaded me to stay!!!! She was so sure that I would fall on my face that she tells her own disaster stories back in Brasil, can you believe it?
BUT...
BUT... it was the best, most fantastic and fascinating experience in my life! You are so right! There is no loneliness in Italy! It is a fantastic country. The people are friendly and everyone tries to speak English. You will love every moment of it. You will learn how to cook REAL Italian food and you will be so immerse in your new life that you won't be able to remember the bitter jealous cowards.
Arrivederla sorella, escrive di Venezia!
Tua sorella picolla,
Sara :)

Susan Storm Bloom aka Savanna said...

Ho! Savanna!!!

Go girl! You are such an inspiration - there is no way you will every look back - I agree with all of your comments 100% Seize the Day!!!!

I am sooo excited for you and have loved following your blogs. I wish I could see some of the jewellery you will make in Venice - what a wonderful opportunity to show your skill with the beads and colours and designs! I'm sure your talents will bring a fortune to the dealer and hopefully to you.

Yep, put me in the group who applaud you and envy you! Friends? You will never be without friends, new and old. And I'm happy to think I am one of them. *hug*

Best of luck - I will follow your blogs when I can get the opportunity to get to internet cafes. Love, VB.

Susan Storm Bloom aka Savanna said...

Bella sorella
Anche Io voglio imparare Italiano bastante presto
Parliamo doppo
Ciao Cara XXX LC

Susan Storm Bloom aka Savanna said...

Hi Savannah,
I just read the blog.. so proud of you demolishing the nay-sayers! Bravo.
I have complete faith that whatever comes your way you'll give it your absolute best. Go girlfriend.. you are a true inspiration
Much love and joy, Jenny MD