Photo of the day

Photo of the day
All grown up in the city of my birth and rebirth

Saturday 3 September 2011

GRAZIE. GRAZIE. GRAZIE MILLE.


I HAVE A NEW MANTRA.  IT IS GRAZIE. GRAZIE. GRAZIE.

I had a wonderful, happy time in Perth with family and friends.  My daughter and I had warm emotional reunions, and we chose her wedding gown together.  I baked, cooked and pottered, then all too soon, the final dinner was done, the bags were packed, my new party frocks folded and I was on my way to Venice.  

Gone were the backpack and baggy travelling pants of previous journeys.  Landing in Italy need a different dress code than Nepal. I dressed in my lime cashmere and pearls.  I wore black ballet slippers and spritzed with my Coco Chanel parfum.  Naturally, I was upgraded to Business Class on Emirates. Grazie!   I sat up there in the perfumed air, on an airborne throne, as I winged my way to Mad Adventure Part two.  I sipped my icy Verve Cliquot, and toasted my good fortune.  I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Grazie.   I dined on lightly grilled salmon with mustard mashed potatoes, Arabian Mezze, Belgian chocolates and ground coffee.  I slept like a baby.  Grazie. Grazie. Grazie tutto.

My luggage on trolley
And then, Venice, and Piazza S. Marco and its steeple below. And the green dome of Santa Maria della Salute. And so much shimmering water and ancient buildings.  I was trembling with joy and excitement when I arrived in this excrucuiatingly beautiful city that was going to be my new home for a while.  A small, typically Italian, glitch is that the excess baggage, containing my beads, which should have arrived ieri (yesterday) will arrive domani - tomorrow - which means I have to return to Marco Polo aeroporto to collect them.

Speechless in Venice
But when returning to the airport means a 40 minute speedboat ride across the sea and into the canals, where 17th century Doge palaces dip their dowager toes in the water, past the old 18th Century glass furnaces, between tanned Italians out for the day on the water, who gives a toss?  I didn't even care when the woman at the information counter for lost luggage started yelling at me, because hey, look where I am, and I am giving thanks left, right, up down and all the in betweens.  I helped some Americans use the money machines.  I gave an Arab couple a euro for their luggage trolley.  I passed my trolley onto some passengers struggling with their luggage. I was a tour guide to a group of Canadians on the boat.  Pay it forward, man - how could one not, in this blessed city.

Giorgio, telling Sylvia I've arrived
Giorgio met me at San Angelo porte. Grazie - how happy I was to see his smiling face.  It's a steamy time of year: the air is languid, and smells like fish.  It's the first time in months that I have sweated. I thought I'd forgotten how.  Between us we dragged my protesting cases (pesante - heavy) with beads, a few Akubras for Giorgio at his request, and some Australiana for Sylvia - and all my WINTER clothes)  along the cobbles, to "my" apartment, where I met Elisa, the landlady, for the first time.  She was so delighted to see me, she was radiating.  She speaks less English than I speak Italian, so I know we're going to be best friends.  Apparently she works at the market on the Rialto - I am going to ask her if I can go with her, one day.   

The apartment is more lovely than I remembered.  Light fills the rooms.  The fig tree is as green, but larger. The bookshelves are lined with fragile, beautiful works of Murano glass.  The furniture is made of old walnut and carved mahogany, with huge squishy cushions to curl up on. The window ledge is wider than I remember, and looks onto a wild patch of greenery which is a luxury here. I'll be able to sit on it, catching the morning sun, blogging or having breakfast. Or just pinching myself again, that I'm here. 

I had imagined that I'd be nervous.  Intimidated by lack of language. A bit scared of being all those things that many people said I would be.  But as we swooshed down those canals, making a creamy cappucino wake behind us, and I looked up to the window boxes  cascading with petunias, and noticed the remains of peeling murals, and washing flapping between windows, and indolent gondoliers giving the five times over assessment of every woman, and blissed tourists, I felt as if I was coming home.  Elisa pointed to fridge, key, window, towels, shower.  I'm going to put my language notes up to speed along vocabulary.  I start school on Monday, by which time I hope to have my summer clothes from cargo. 

Speedboat to San Angelo porte from airport
As I unpacked, someone upstairs was practising Mozart on their violin.  There's a bag and shoe shop right across the lane, and the happy voices of tourists passing underneath my window float up to me like a different kind of music.  My hair hangs in damp tendrils.  I'm walking around barefoot, in a red silk cami, because all my summer clothes are somewhere between Rome and Venice.  

Savanna, Savanna, Savanna, I hear from my window.  Like all good Italians, I lean out to see who could possibly have the same name as me.  Sylvia is standing downstairs, her arms and shopping trolley laden with gifts. Lambrusco. Extra Virgin Olive oil. A Whole Box of l'uova. (grapes)   Three different types of pasta. Tins of piselli.  (peas).  Bread. Bottles of pomodoro sauce. A bag of zucchini.  A bag of plump, aromatic, firm tomatoes.  Apple juice. For you she says, because you must be hungry.  Sleep, she says, and we'll see you domani.  You look younger, she says.  And I say, because I am very very happy to be here.  She leaves, but from the street she shouts up - Savanna -( I look down )- You must put the Vino in the frigoriferio.   Cuerto, I shout down, si, cuerto.  Grazie mille. Grazie. Grazie, grazie, grazie.

I made myself a tuna salad with bits and pieces.  There's another knock at the door.  It's Elisa, bearing gifts.  Of a hand woven, leather handled straw basket of plums and tomatoes that she has grown herself.  A tub of mozzarella.  Pane de casa.  And a tub of basilico for my window sill, the ultimate welcome gift. The basket is beautiful; I will use it everywhere.

The internet works.  I have a tv, except it speaks only Italian, but I'll made friends with that too, shortly.

Church bells peal.  The city darkens.  The streets quieten.  I have a fridge of food, baskets of fruit, enough space to dance, create, cook.   And two more friends in my Italian world.  Five more Italian words. And I've only been here three hours.

I am completely overwhelmed by the limitless generosity of my new family.  I have a lightness of being. How lucky am I, how lucky am I. Grazie, from the bottom and breadth of my heart.  I feel truly blessed.

This is going to be a life changing experience.  I know it already.  Oh, grazie.

No comments: