Photo of the day

Photo of the day
All grown up in the city of my birth and rebirth

Sunday 28 August 2011

TEMPUS FUGIT




THIS TIME NEXT WEEK I WILL BE IN VENICE.  



I'm beside myself with excitement.  I'm the Italian version of Oh What A Feeling ..

My summer clothes and necessary beads have been couriered there from Sydney, and all going well, will meet me in Marco Polo aeroporto on Friday.

My Italian vocabulary is now 500 words and climbing. Sfacciato - (cheeky)  Pazzo - (Crazy)  Frantumanto. (Broken)   Emozionante. (Exciting)  Sgargiante - (Gaudy)  Buffo - (Funny).  What a wonderful language.

I've changed my return date to Australia to arrive, bedraggled and exhausted from Carnevale, 48 hours before the nuptials. They couldn't change the date and I couldn't leave earlier because I would have a book to produce from that theatrical week.   I hope all the guests will forgive me when I rush in, my wings damp, drooping and frosted with Venice's wintry ice, my red ballet shoes scuffed, my black tutu ripped, muttering mi dispiace!  mi dispiace!  I didn't have time to change! Apparently, on the last night of Carnevale, the revellers stand with their backs to Venice as they leave on gondolas through the Grand Canal which is ablaze with candles ... and all that can be heard is the plop of oars.  There is no point to my sleeping that night.

We've bought the wedding gown;  the daughter looks breathtakingly beautiful and I shed a tear when I saw her so ethereal.  I bought my outfit and I hope that the daughter didn't shed a tear because it's very far removed from her notion of mother of the bride, but she insisted she wanted me to be me and I couldn't not be. We've had some warm and wonderful times these past few weeks. I'm giving them a honeymoon to Borneo.

I've been doing a few hours Italian every day on a fantastic on line program. It's the easiest learning I have ever done as it's a visual and aural reinforcement. It's also quite addictive.

I've spent quality time with my life long friends.  MrM and I have locked in NYE in Ljubljana. It's only 114 miles from Venice.  What a crazy concept.  We could practically walk there.  Over the snow.

My next post will be from Venice.  What a crazy concept.









1 comment:

Sara Magellan said...

Yes, my dearest sister, that's exactly how you feel when you make a crazy decision. You feel the butterflies of uncertainty, and that's what makes you sure that you are alive. You try hard to get everything together, you try to learn the language (I used busuu.com) and you even start to understand the lesson tapes. "La mia macchina è veloce e comoda" (my car is fast and comfortable (????) Whatever, the point is, it is unpredictable and that's what makes it so marvelous and breath taking.
You will soon discover that Italy is a hot pot of different cultures and therefore different languages and dialects and accents. You will fall in love and then hate it , then fall in love again. That is when you will know you are becoming one of them!
Good luck and hope I can go visit you in Venice!
xoxo
Your baby sister Sara